Matthias Dörfelt (1987, Hamburg, Germany) is a Los Angeles-based artist. He mainly works in software producing artifacts ranging from drawings, prints, animation, videos and interactive installations to robotics. In his works he often trades control in favor of surprise because he strongly believes in computation as an expressive, playful and humorous tool. Matthias will continue to explore these aspects by infusing technology with flaws, naivety and weirdness. He believes in a media arts practice that favors spontaneity over streamlining and hopes that his works contribute to shape our relationship to machines in a similar way.
Matthias studied at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule in Kiel and holds a Masters of Fine Arts from the University of California in Los Angeles.
Tools that I built
- Motor - My own collection of C++ tools and libraries.
- Slooper - Slooper turns your raspberry pi into a seamless HD video looper.
Other tools that I use
- Processing – Popular Java based creative coding environment.
- OpenFrameworks – Creative Coding in C++.
- Arduino – Easy to program and affordable microcontroller.
Old mokafolio websites that include older work: